JP18 Build Thread (Number 2), Jacksonville FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Dwight
Site Moderator

Re: JP18 Build Thread (Number 2), Jacksonville FL

Post by Dwight » March 24th, 2022, 7:29 pm

Got around to installing my NOS REP6000 and it was much more of a pain than it should have been. Mainly getting the plastic motor support base wires to allow it to sit flush against the winch plate. It also hurt a little removing the factory rubber band from the cable :lol:

Since taking this photo I did decide to move the hook to the front tie rod as in the movie its hanging on the front VS on JP29 where the cable/hook are going up over the front tie rod and hooked onto the back one. Small details that drive me nuts but whatever.

Still have about a month before I want to add the whip antenna. Letting the paint cure as much as possible since the antenna is prone to smacking the light bar.

NOS REP6000
NOS REP6000

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 25th, 2022, 7:49 pm

Went from "all work and very little play" on the Jeep to the complete opposite. Now I get to enjoy the Jeep while doing the small projects on the to do list.

Took Karma (Jeeps name...listen to the song Karma Chameleon and see if you can guess why I named her that) down to the beach to grab a bite to eat. The weather was perfect for it, especially after two days of solid rain.

Also painted the whip antenna tie down using one of those $10 kits that turn your paint into aerosol form. Overall it worked pretty well, although I'll probably go the foam brush route when I do the top door hinge bolts.

Right near the beach, boiiiii
Right near the beach, boiiiii
Painted whip antenna tie down
Painted whip antenna tie down

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 28th, 2022, 6:49 pm

In the spirit of trying to keep this forum alive, I'll continue to post my updates even though for the most part the "build" portion is complete minus a few things like painting the top door hinge.

Installed the whip antenna after painting the antenna tie down. Also had to go away from a little screen accuracy and add some red felt/velcro straps to keep the antenna from smacking against the light bar and ruining the paint. Just one of those things that is more a quality of life thing that will trump accuracy for me. But with everything being red it's not AS noticeable.

Also, gotta love the Jurassic Park raincoats from 401graphics. I'll always love the Sahara seats, but I really enjoy having the raincoats over the seats for a few reason. 1) It acts as a semi seat cover to protect the seat from the sun and sweaty backs lol. 2) With the logo on the back of the raincoat it lets people behind you know that they are looking at a Jurassic Park Jeep. Otherwise all the really got to go off of is the red rim and not that many people really know. At least the raincoats gives them that idea.

Ready for any weather
Ready for any weather

MrDNA

Post by MrDNA » March 29th, 2022, 8:08 am

Dwight wrote:
March 28th, 2022, 6:49 pm
In the spirit of trying to keep this forum alive, I'll continue to post my updates even though for the most part the "build" portion is complete
I keep reading your updates here. They're swell Mr.!

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 30th, 2022, 8:47 pm

While I've always loved posting build updates (this is a build thread after all), I have been enjoying taking photos of the completed Jeep just as much.

Hello from the other side
Hello from the other side

kokopelli

Post by kokopelli » April 2nd, 2022, 4:24 pm

We love seeing the photos!

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 2nd, 2022, 6:42 pm

Jeep looks much more complete with the winch and accessories installed.

Fun fact - In the opening Jeep scenes where they roll up on the dino for the first time you can see JP29 has the winch hook attached to the rear tie rod whereas JP18 has the hook attached to the front tie rod.

REP6000
REP6000

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 3rd, 2022, 4:10 pm

I still remember coming here 25 years ago when this place used to be a putt putt golf course. I'm glad the city of Jacksonville decided to make Rexy a landmark when they demolished everything else. I guess you could say "life, uh, finds a way."

Rexy the Beach Blvd Dinosaur
Rexy the Beach Blvd Dinosaur

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 6th, 2022, 4:42 pm

I think I've slowly learned to not be sooooo wrapped up in every single little detail being "screen accurate" these days the more I've come to terms that no one will ever be 100%. So this gives me the opportunity to have some freedom with the Jeep. I got this idea from @raptorwrangler18 (the person who bought my first Jeep) and love it. Ordered it off Etsy for $12.

I'm okay picking and choosing what I value to be accurate or not. For example, the way I have the whip antenna tied down isn't accurate but it makes sense so that the antenna isn't scratching the light bar all to pieces. Same reason why no one puts Radial tires on their Jeep anymore (unless you got Jack's tire stencil kit).

There's a reason why I named her Karma...well a few reasons...one of them being my love for 80s music and the other being the fact that I sold one JP18 and ended up making another....what goes around comes back around.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » April 9th, 2022, 2:40 pm

Took Karma & Kota to the Caffeine and Octane car show today. There were hundreds of cars ranging from exotics to classics and everything in between, but the Jeep got plenty of attention.

Karma & Kota
Karma & Kota
Karma & Kota 2
Karma & Kota 2