JP18 Build Thread (Number 2), Jacksonville FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
kokopelli

Re: JP18 Build Thread (Number 2), Jacksonville FL

Post by kokopelli » March 11th, 2022, 10:41 am

Outstanding!!

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 11th, 2022, 5:38 pm

I appreciate it. Its been quite the stressful build but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 11th, 2022, 6:18 pm

Shot all 8 fender flares and 4 side steps along with 4 marine searchlights today. All the sand beige has been applied and tomorrow will begin reassembly of the flares and side steps and start marking out the stripes.

Also spent an extra hour today fine tuning the alignment of the hood. I wanted to make sure the hood hinges were exactly the same distance from the top of the hood so that the red stripe is straight (since the stripe is based of the ends of the hinges). Part of that alignment process also involved me adjusted the hood latch location a little bit and now the hood closes better and opens much easier.

Finally, here's a photo of the bumperettes and spare tire stop that I had sandblasted then powder coated.

tempImagereAejL.gif
tempImagetiulID.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 12th, 2022, 8:49 pm

They are starting to look like Jeeps again!

Installed all the fender flares and the side steps. Those are always a pain in the ass to get lined up just right.

Also got a good amount of the stuff on the rear of the Jeep installed.

Next week we will be working on all the Ford Performance Red.

tempImagexF1Hdf.gif

kokopelli

Post by kokopelli » March 13th, 2022, 8:56 am

Absolutely, hands-down, Sand Beige Low Gloss is the best color Jeep ever put out! I still remember the first time I saw it in person; a Sahara parked at the beach in Clearwater, FL that had the steel painted wheels and the khaki green soft top. I’ve got an actual photograph of it somewhere…

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 13th, 2022, 4:41 pm

I would agree there! It's a match made in heaven for sure!

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 16th, 2022, 5:03 pm

Today we painted the rims and center caps as well as the stripes for my JP18. Spent a good hour and a half measuring, double and triple checking, using a laser level, and quadruple checking everything.

I'm much happier with the stripes on this build and where they end as well as the placement of the numbers. I will say, having that adjustable auto-leveling laser on a tripod made everything much easier.

Tomorrow we will be masking off and painting Tommy's JP69 as well as doing the light bars and side mirrors. Going to also apply door decals and try to put as much of my Jeep back together before the auto shop closes.

Masking out the stripes
Masking out the stripes
Rims and center caps painted
Rims and center caps painted
JP18
JP18

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 17th, 2022, 6:47 pm

Today we masked out the stripes and painted Tommy's Jeep as well as painted the light bars and side mirrors. While everything was drying I was able to put most of my Jeep back together.

Tomorrow we will be installing the windshield frames, and on Saturday I'll be getting a new windshield and having the rims mounted.

I will say that I'm happy with the number placement as well as the door decal placement. I think I spent more time referencing screen caps from the movie VS the JPMP reference section for these two things. But everything is paying off and I'm super excited to take a cruise.

Putting JP18 back together
Putting JP18 back together

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 18th, 2022, 4:16 pm

Finally got the Jeep home, and I have to say....I've missed driving a Jurassic Jeep. I didn't really know how much I missed it until today.

Red rims and windshield are getting installed tomorrow along with the light bar. Will have to install the winch and paint the top half door hinge area red when I get the time.

Home at last
Home at last
Tucked away
Tucked away

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 20th, 2022, 6:54 am

Got the windshield and rims installed as well as the light bar and a few odds and ends. Going to wait about a month for the red on the light bar to cure before I throw on the whip antenna since that thing gets banged up quite a bit even with some added protective measures.

Then just have to install the winch, get a soft top, and wire up the rear fog lights and she should be good to go.

JP18 is nearly done
JP18 is nearly done