JP18 Build Thread (Number 2), Jacksonville FL

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Dwight
Site Moderator

Re: JP12 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL

Post by Dwight » September 23rd, 2021, 9:07 pm

The process to bring the Jeep back to a stock Sahara is finally complete. The last major hurdle was removing the lift that was on it.

After talking with Ari (founder of the Motor Pool) over on Facebook, I decided to be the guinea pig and get some OEM spec YJ springs from Deaver Springs. I heard too many horror stories of people buying Omix, Rugged Ridge, and various other cheap leaf spring kits that claimed to be "no lift" but they still end up 2" or more above what is stock.

Im happy to report that the Jeep is actually at factory height now. Here is everything I've done with the suspension:

- OEM Spec YJ springs from Deaver Springs
- Bushing/sleeves from Deaver Springs
- Bilstein B4600 shocks (took 7 months to arrive)
- Stock shackles (powder coated)
- Grade 8 U-bolts from Rustys Off-Road

The ride quality is noticeably better as well.

tempImagerF3LIL.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Re: JP12 Build Thread, Jacksonville FL

Post by Dwight » September 27th, 2021, 12:31 pm

Removed the old winch decals using a heat gun and Goo-Gone. Then rubbed it down with alcohol and applied the new and more accurate decals from 401Graphics. They also honored my request for a custom serial number (my sons birthday) which I think is a pretty cool touch.

Only thing left for the winch is to get some chrome tie-rods installed.

tempImageiniezD.gif
tempImagepZzsqi.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Re: JP18 Build Thread (Number 2), Jacksonville FL

Post by Dwight » January 27th, 2022, 11:12 am

Just an update on the build. Due to a few factors like emergency vet bills and such I've decided to switch my build from a JP12 to a JP18. This will be my second JP18. I sold off all the JP12 specific items to help offset the cost of the vet bills.

I actually feel a bit relieved that I'm not doing a JP12. Although JP12 is probably the cooler of the 4 jeeps, I don't have to worry about all the wiring or the hassle of building up the lights. Theres also quite a few JP12's being built nowadays (JP18's still are the majority). One of the other reasons that factored into my decision is that there is a local member here in Jacksonville that has a gorgeous JP12 and would like to do shows and events together and not have matching Jeeps.

The main thing is I'm still in the Jurassic Park scene, officially ready for paint now, and hopefully will be driving around in a completed build sooner rather than later.

** Insert witty reply from Jurassic Vic below **

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » February 6th, 2022, 9:31 pm

Started the final disassembly before the Jeep goes into paint next month (around March 7th). Took off all the flares and side steps, front bumper, almost all the interior, and basically everything I could but still be able to drive it to the paint booth legally.

I wanted to do this teardown just in case to make sure no surprises were lurking. Besides the stubborn rear bolt on the passenger side step, one bolt on the driver windshield extension bar, and one on the passenger door loop thingy that keeps the door from opening too far, everything seems to be okay. Made sure to clean in all the nooks and crannies.

The guy who helped me paint my first Jeep is actually coming into town for 10 days to help me do this Jeep as well as another FL members Jeep at the same time.

Also ordered new seals for the half doors and the tail gate.

I do want to mount the rear fog lights just so that the holes are drilled before paint, so that's on the to-do list.
tempImagemyswNR.gif
tempImagemyswNR.gif (82.42 KiB) Viewed 159424 times

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » February 8th, 2022, 7:39 pm

Got my rims back from the sandblaster. Just need to hit them with a little sandpaper to smooth them out and they will be ready for etching primer and paint.

Also, because I'm OCD, I went ahead and started cleaning my fender flares and side steps. I know paint doesn't need to go on the inside of them, but this Jeep spent a lot of time on dirt roads and they were pretty filthy.
tempImageTSU15p.gif
tempImagenTyeze.gif
tempImagenTyeze.gif (300.78 KiB) Viewed 159402 times

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » February 15th, 2022, 6:04 pm

Got my new light bar in for JP18 and did a quick test fit. As always, Kyle Bottorff does great work!

Took the Jeep today to get a new windshield installed since my other one had a small chip in it. Would have kept the windshield out and painted it first but the base won't allow me to drive on it with no windshield. It looks good though. Just need to trim down some of the sealant they used on the inside so that the inside seal fits.

Replaced my TPS sensor which fixed the small hesitation. That was a cheap and easy fix that took all of 3 minutes and cleared my TPS code.

Picked up the paint and supplies. Big thanks to Jurassic Vic for making sure I had the correct formula. The Single Source that I got my previous paint from, the guy that usually helped me retired, and the shopline brand they used was no longer available. So Vic hooked it up with the correct OMNI paint formula. Made getting the paint so much less stressful. I got double the amount of paint needed because we are actually going to be doing 2 Jeeps at the same time (another JPMP Florida member).

Oh, and I did get to see my old JP18 over the weekend!

tempImageFM873j.gif
tempImagedRQQma.gif
tempImagexIoP2h.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » February 18th, 2022, 3:58 pm

It's always nerve wracking to drill into the tub, but I finally tackled the last bit of drilling that I should need to do. Got the rear fog lights mounted up for a test fit. Made sure the tail light housing was level, marked the center point on the housing, marked one inch up, and made a center punch. Pretty straight forward.

tempImage1tb79v.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 5th, 2022, 12:54 pm

Took the Jeep up to the hangar today and finished taking everything else apart. Took off the tail lights, license plate holder, gas tank insert, door handles, hood to fender bumpers, washer nozzles, antenna, etc.

Next week will be filled with prepping, priming, and painting 2 Jurassic Jeeps.

tempImageOz3bMV.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 9th, 2022, 9:08 pm

Something about that fresh sand beige....

tempImageTUzdwc.gif
tempImagemPQNHc.gif

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » March 10th, 2022, 7:57 pm

Just dropping another photo, but this time with both Jeeps. To say it's been a heck of a week would be a massive understatement and there's still Friday and Saturday to go. I thought sanding and masking two Jeeps was exhausting....Well after taking a closer look at my Jeep once it dried, there were some areas that had a "gritty" feel to them. We think the weather was too hot for the reducer we used and the paint was drying too fast during spray. Regardless, I went over the whole Jeep again with a red Scotch pad and then over the whole thing again with 800 grit sandpaper to get that gritty feel out. After another 2 coats this morning, the Jeep looks and feels great. I'm much happier with the result and glad I took the time to re sand.

Jeep #2 turned out great as well. Tommy will have much better before and after photos for his Jeep. It's come a long way and I'm sure he will share some photos over on Facebook.

Tomorrow we will be doing the fender flares with Sherwin Williams P30A primer since it has an added flex agent, and then with sand beige. Cracking and chipping paint on the fender flares have been one of the biggest pains of these Jeeps since they flex so much, so we spent a little extra money to hopefully help alleviate that problem in the future.

Saturday will be spent putting things back together such as the hood, flares, etc and getting the Jeep ready for masking off the stripes.

While I love the process, its been extremely stressful and I'm looking forward to it being over so I can just drive and enjoy it.

tempImageZ8A9YU.gif