Oklahoma City 92 Explorer 05

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
dstone
Vehicle Make/Model: 1995 Jeep Wrangler
Facebook Name: Drew Stone

Re: Oklahoma City 92 Explorer 05

Post by dstone » September 24th, 2021, 10:27 am

Dwight wrote:
September 7th, 2021, 8:51 pm
Awesome updates Drew!
Thanks!

New toys came in!

The brush guard came out beautifully. Got the front mounted up and used rivnuts for the tail light guards. Broke the mandrel on the rivnut tool on the first one so I was delayed a bit while the replacement came in. The brush guard makes a huge difference in how the Explorer looks. I love it.

Also decided it was a good time to test fit some of the front greeblies. I'll need to make a new bracket for the camera so I can adjust for some differences in the camera that I have versus the one the original bracket was designed for.

While I was perusing the 4k version of the movie I noticed that the track sensor was bolted on instead of clipped on. Since our state does not require front tags I opted to go with the bolt-on route. I'll paint or power coat the bolt heads so they blend in a little better like the movie ones.

I realized I got a bit ahead of myself with swapping out the doors. The Explorer has the VIN number on the door instead of the door jamb. Not a big problem if I were keeping the original dash, but I'm replacing that, too. The last thing I want is for an officer to get cranky because they have to crawl under the vehicle to try to verify the VIN number for some reason. I think I can get a replacement VIN sticker from a body shop but from what I understand it's quite the hassle and rather expensive. Fortunately I figured out how the trim comes off so I was able to transplant the 91 trim over to the 92 door (the trim on the 92 door was pretty messed up). That just leaves three small dents I'll have to worry about.

My six-foot turkeys were back stalking me again.

I thought I was settled on colors, but now I'm questioning myself again. Had picked out Rust-Oleum Colonial Red, Kilz Watered Grass and Rust-Oleum Sun Yellow. My sister matched the Sun Yellow to RAL 1021 for powder coating, so my intention was to take those colors (and the powder coat sample chip) to my local auto paint shop and have them match it for my final paint. That said, I just saw some better photos of one of the Explorers that used the Sherwin Williams paint codes and it looks much better than the sample photos on the JPMP reference page. I'll have to stew on it a bit more before I fully commit to one or the other. Still have some body work to do before I get to the painting phase although it would be nice to get a jump start on the powder coating.

(It's hard to get accurate pictures of paint colors with a cell phone. lol)
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP10 - WIP
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12
1991 Ford Explorer EX04 - WIP
1992 Ford Explorer EX05 - WIP

DrewSmith007
Site Moderator
Vehicle Make/Model: 1993 Ford Explorer

Post by DrewSmith007 » September 24th, 2021, 10:34 pm

I'll be coming to OKC sooner than later to pick up my running boards. I could probably take the jpex so you can check out my colors.

dstone

Post by dstone » September 26th, 2021, 10:10 pm

DrewSmith007 wrote:
September 24th, 2021, 10:34 pm
I'll be coming to OKC sooner than later to pick up my running boards. I could probably take the jpex so you can check out my colors.
That would be awesome!
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

NathansPROPS

Post by NathansPROPS » October 2nd, 2021, 7:49 pm

*grumbles about not having a brush guard* Lucky...... Looks great!

dstone

Post by dstone » December 10th, 2021, 11:24 pm

Been a while since the last update due to travelling and work-related stuff. Some goodies from Nathan arrived and I had to do a quick mockup of the dash camera. This is going to be awesome!

I also found some older thin client computers at a computer salvage company near my grandmother's house and figured those would work well for the onboard computer. They're small and have a nice SSD installed. I picked up a DC/DC converter for the power supply that is designed for car use. I'm using the Tour Program video from Themaxleydog on YouTube for the time being until I can get a tour program of my own going.

I'm feeding VGA out of the thin client into a scan converter and using composite video from there into the Panasonic monitors. The scan converter I picked up from Amazon wound up being absolute junk, so back it goes. I have a new one on order, hopefully it will be a little better quality.

My vacation allowed me to really think about things, especially the fate of the 91 Explorer that was purchased for parts. I have decided to keep and repair it. It will become JPEX 04. I'll start a separate thread with all those shenanigans once it gets underway.
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

MrDNA

Post by MrDNA » December 12th, 2021, 1:55 am

are you running the screens cloned or individually? I am planning mine to be cloned because the audio will get nasty if 2 different tracks are selected bewtween the 2. Been playing with the setup over an old elabs mp500 I pulled from an xbox360 kiosk. Received my base from Nathan too. wellmade.
Somebody beat me to a 50k mile, correct interior no rust '93 listed for $1k locally. Hope they end up here.
You find a match for your lens yet?

dstone

Post by dstone » December 13th, 2021, 12:04 am

I have the screens chained together through the BNC loopthrough on the back of the S901. I was thinking about running everything off a Raspberry Pi but decided I wanted to add some interactive features similar to Brandon's at some point. The thin clients were about the same price as a Pi and I'm a bit more familiar with using Adobe Flash in a Windows environment.

Haven't found a mate for the lens yet. I have a fall back plan of using a LA6A if I haven't come across one by the time I start putting the interior in after painting. Should get things close enough for the casual observer until I can find another LA12A.
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

Jurassic Vic
Site Administrator
Vehicle Make/Model: 93 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Facebook Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/vicjurassic
Instagram: Jurassic_vic

Post by Jurassic Vic » January 7th, 2022, 9:35 pm

looking good bro!
A new era. join the Jurassic Auto Group facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/jurassicautogroup

FOLLOW THE VLOG AND PODCAST
https://linktr.ee/jurassic_vic

Jurassic Park Jeep commissions message me!

dstone

Post by dstone » January 24th, 2022, 11:46 pm

I finally broke down and bought a welder so I can replace the dog legs myself. Still practicing on some scrap and getting the hang of MIG welding. YouTube has been most helpful, especially when it comes to welding body panels. Once I'm confident enough to have a go I'll start with the 91 before moving to the 92.

The plexi disc for the steering wheel has finally been ordered and the new scan converter arrived and works well. So much better than the old ones. Next step is to wire in the DC power supply for the computer and start prepping the other electronics.

Speaking of center consoles, my cousin has finished painting the wood grain on the dash, console and door handles. Those should be coming back in a week or two and I can cut a few holes in them for the vents, monitors, buttons and such. I'll hold off on installing any of the interior components until the painting is done so I won't have to worry about masking the interior when spraying the door sills.
1995 Jeep Wrangler JP12

Dwight
Site Moderator

Post by Dwight » January 27th, 2022, 10:57 am

Looking good!