Colorado JP #29

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Colorado JP #29

Post by COBrian » March 27th, 2013, 7:26 pm

I am laying out the lines this week.... Hope to get the stripes done this weekend.

I have been using the screenshots as much as possible.

The angle of the stripes were laid out with a laser line from the side. I used the windshield and the body triangle in front of the door(just below windshield) to get the angle to use. Note: On my Jeep the windshield and the body angle are about 5' difference. I measured my windshield at 70' and the body angle at 75' . I tried both of these angles with known body points and my laser. If I used 75' and matched the bottom of the angle to the seam in the side step, then the line hit to far forward on the welded body seam. If I used 70' and the seam, then the angle hit too far back on the body seam. I also aligned the top of this stripe to what I believe made sense. The Top of this stripe edge should be 1/2 the distance of the windshield body angle, from the screenshots. In the below image I have drawn (crudely) where the difference angles ended up.

Black line is at same angle as windshield, and hits body seam too far back. White line is at same angle as the tub's triangle, and hits too far forward. The blue humps show the relationship of where the stripe hits the seam being 1/2 the length (1 vs 2 humps) of the bottom of the triangle.
Front Stripe
Front Stripe
frontstripe.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 11403 times
With the angle now set I went about laying out the rest of the lines. Front stripe edge starts at 1/3 down wheel flare. Turns to meet hood line at edge of hinges.
Front Stripe Layout
Front Stripe Layout
IMG_0693s.JPG (54.46 KiB) Viewed 11403 times
Back stripes, Front Edge starts at rear edge of side step, Back edge is just in front of the middle of the wheel flare.
Back Stripe
Back Stripe
IMG_0694s.JPG (54.1 KiB) Viewed 11403 times
Now I measured up the stripes. The Front stripe is 15.5" wide, and the rear stripe is 13.5" long. Ugghhhh.
I poured over the screenshots, and did some measuring, and this may be correct. from every image I pulled up the back stripe does measure smaller than the front stripe.

I highly recommend using a laser line or some other method to project from the side, as the body plays all sorts of tricks if you simply try to tape them up... I tried that initially on the back stripe, and once I got the laser line, I had to redo the back edge where it goes over the wheel flare.
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

heartyfield

Post by heartyfield » March 28th, 2013, 9:01 am

I concur with the use of the laser line. I initially started without one, but it makes life so much easier.

I'm having that same issue with the width of the stripes. They're so close, but I know if they're off by an inch or two no one will notice, but it'll drive me mad.
“You've never heard of Chaos theory? Non-linear equations? Strange attractors? Ms. Sattler, I refuse to believe you're not familiar with the concept of attraction.”
https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkjeep12athens

Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Boomerjinks » March 28th, 2013, 9:26 am

We'd notice, so we're right there with ya! :D

BlackAdder719

Post by BlackAdder719 » March 28th, 2013, 1:41 pm

wow! so cool!

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » March 28th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Testing out getting plastidip for the stripes. I got my first try on toooo thick and it had runs in it. Never fear, waited 4 hours, peeled it off, and started again.
Back Stripe
Back Stripe
IMG_0699s.JPG (55.2 KiB) Viewed 11379 times

Boomerjinks
Completed JP Jeep

Post by Boomerjinks » March 28th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Wow wow WOW!

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » March 28th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Peeling off a mistake sounds awesome.
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

ImperialTrooper
Site Administrator

Post by ImperialTrooper » March 29th, 2013, 9:13 am

looks great, how well does it do against a pressure washer?

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » March 29th, 2013, 9:30 am

I really can't believe this stuff... I mean the plastidip forums are full of people doing whole cars.. but seeing in person is believing.. it really is very cool.. Sure if you get up close, its not as smooth as paint, but the process is nothing compared to paint. All you have to do is clean the surface really well, Tape, and spray. And the overspray is not like paint, as it is thicker so it doesn't just get in the air and cover everything.

According to the plastipdip forums: you can poer wash it fine after it fully cures in about a week. Yes it is dry in a few hours, but fully cured is about a week. When I peeled my mistake I waited about 3 hours and it was dry and didn't get any on me when I peeled it. In order to peel it I had to rub a corner really hard with my finger before I could get it started, so even after 3 hours it isn't coming off just by looking at it ;)

heartyfield

Post by heartyfield » March 29th, 2013, 11:01 am

Coming along nicely! Being able to pull off any part that doesn't feel right would be awesome. Whats your plan to get the stencil/mask off for the front without disturbing the surrounding plastidip?
“You've never heard of Chaos theory? Non-linear equations? Strange attractors? Ms. Sattler, I refuse to believe you're not familiar with the concept of attraction.”
https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkjeep12athens