Athens, Georgia - Jeep 12. Build Thread

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Re: Athens, Georgia - Jeep 12. Build Thread

Post by ratrace427 » March 31st, 2013, 11:25 pm

That almost looks like it is all the way in. The front one sticks up a couple of inches out of the door like that. The skin comes down to meet the door at the black rail that runs the length of the door. You dont have that black rail on your door but is the skin to short to reach where it screws to the door?
I am John Sisemore on Facebook

heartyfield

Post by heartyfield » April 1st, 2013, 1:12 am

That's what I measure on these, so the frames are correct. I'm going to order the rail for the doors tomorrow and I'll try to see how far they stretch. The skins came with the new besttop replacement top, so everything should jive. Thanks for the measurements, that will make me sleep better, ha.
“You've never heard of Chaos theory? Non-linear equations? Strange attractors? Ms. Sattler, I refuse to believe you're not familiar with the concept of attraction.”
https://www.facebook.com/jurassicparkjeep12athens

heartyfield

Post by heartyfield » April 3rd, 2013, 9:06 am

Hey guys, here are some updated photos that I made yesterday. I've been working feverishly to get this thing presentable by Friday. I'm going to pick up my BFG's today, so I'll post some pictures with those tomorrow, probably. I also plan on doing the hood reverse stencil tonight as well as a few "touch up" areas and the shroud that goes around the front head-lights.

Also, I played around with the door uppers and still couldn't get it to fit properly. Maybe there was an issue with those frames/my doors. I trimmed between 1/4 to 1/2" off of the front peg to get the upper to fit in the frame. Anyway, here's where I'm at currently:

1.jpg
1.jpg (337.27 KiB) Viewed 10505 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (340.38 KiB) Viewed 10505 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (259.69 KiB) Viewed 10505 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (308.59 KiB) Viewed 10505 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (309.49 KiB) Viewed 10505 times
“You've never heard of Chaos theory? Non-linear equations? Strange attractors? Ms. Sattler, I refuse to believe you're not familiar with the concept of attraction.”

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » April 3rd, 2013, 9:51 am

The stencils i sell for the hood are meant to be painted over with red and then removed. What is the plan here? Is the logo under the red waiting to be removed?

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » April 3rd, 2013, 9:52 am

Looks good. You know the JP12 on the hood, the JP are supposed to be red letters and the 12 is supposed to be sand beige inside a red box right? your current box looks like you went all the way across with the red.
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

heartyfield

Post by heartyfield » April 3rd, 2013, 10:08 am

I had originally planed to just use vinyl, but then I decided I wanted the letters/numbers painted so I sprayed the red. I'll put the decal over the red and come back and spray LJ1 over that and a few other areas that need extra attention. That should work, right? Y'all have me slightly paranoid now, ha.

If I hadn't already had the vinyl made, I would have bought from you Racetrack, as your product looks great!

ratrace427
Completed JP Jeep

Post by ratrace427 » April 3rd, 2013, 2:06 pm

I have no feelings towards where you bought, i was concerned about how you were going about it.

heartyfield

Post by heartyfield » April 5th, 2013, 10:01 am

I'm finished with the hood and paint touch ups. The base color from TCP global did really well for the price. For a hundred dollars a gallon you get a good product IMO. Looking back, I would have researched a flattener for the red, but I was running out of time and really wanted it ready for the premier and I don't hate the gloss look, but I'm trying to shoot for as canon as possible. Once I got to the painting stage, I sprayed the entire base coat from end to end. Next, I came back and painted everything that needed to be red. Since I already had the vinyl graphics made for reverse stenciling, I sprayed the red box on the hood for that. I knew that I would have some touching up to do anyway, so I didn't mind having to spray paint for a third time to create the hood logo. Here is a picture with the R-Stencil on:
6.jpg
6.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 10482 times
I had a few small spots where red had blown through onto the base color, so I opted to use an airbrush (http://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-kit-47791.html) for those spots and liked the results and control so I used it to paint the hood too.
7.jpg
7.jpg (102.2 KiB) Viewed 10482 times

COBrian
Completed JP Jeep

Post by COBrian » April 5th, 2013, 10:12 am

looks great!
1993 Sahara - JP29 - Denver, CO

MattMaher

Athens, Georgia - Jeep 12. Build Thread

Post by MattMaher » April 5th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Are you going to a local (Athens) Theater for the 3D showing?

I'm going to the Mall of Georgia for the IMAX experience.

Would love to see this in person!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Volkswagen Golf 2.0