N.H. Jeep #06

Showcase your Jurassic Park vehicle, or build progress.
Forge

Re: N.H. Jeep #06

Post by Forge » September 1st, 2013, 12:36 am

Well, it's a start?
Well, it's a start?
1002328_419361114850133_1928577716_n.jpg (40.18 KiB) Viewed 10271 times
I've been very very quiet as of late. But, in July I started painting. Using the PPG Omni line after my local shop got a offset for the PPG Global they felt was spot on. I did some tests and in the end the color was so close that I decided to go with the 1-stage Omni and save $500 on paint alone. Figure if I'm not happy in the end I can repaint. Next time I'm thinking about it, I'll post the mix codes they gave me.

That being said, I'm on hold potentially for the rest of the year. As some of you know I had an 'incident' in July. Small cut developed into something straight out of the movies—GAS disease caused by the same bacteria that gives you strep throat. Short story is I had flesh eating bacteria in my left hand. It was caught early, so there's should be no permanent damage. But, I'm looking at about 2 more months before I can work on the car again. That almost guarantees I can't finish the body (NH winter comes early, and the trees started shifting 2 weeks back). BUT I should be able to get the doors, hood, and bits done.
View my past, present, and future projects on: http://www.facebook.com/SephiriStudios

Forge

Post by Forge » September 2nd, 2013, 2:50 pm

Winch.jpg
Winch.jpg (118.73 KiB) Viewed 10265 times
Closed the deal on my last missing piece today—the elusive REP-6000. Guy was using it to pull fence posts and decided to upgrade. Needs some minor work, but upside is the motor is a recent replacement installed by a Ramsey tech.

Technically, I still need the tow eyes, and I noticed the jeep bumper is sans hitch receiver from the factory...but I can take care of those by visiting my local fabricator. I've even got the correct light bar. Now, just waiting for my hand to catch up...
View my past, present, and future projects on: http://www.facebook.com/SephiriStudios

AdamT
Completed JP Jeep

Post by AdamT » September 3rd, 2013, 12:52 pm

Jeep is looking great man!!!!!!!! Curious about the winch, I wonder why it did not come with the right Ramsey sticker. Interesting thoughts. Anyway, Jeep will look great finished! Glad you found the rights parts so easily.
Thanks,
Adam

jbc455
Completed JP Jeep

Post by jbc455 » September 3rd, 2013, 1:40 pm

AdamT wrote:...Curious about the winch, I wonder why it did not come with the right Ramsey sticker...
Replacement motor must have come with a different sticker. 8-)
1994 Wrangler SE 4.0, automatic, 150k and still going strong.

Forge

Post by Forge » September 3rd, 2013, 10:07 pm

jbc455 wrote:
AdamT wrote:...Curious about the winch, I wonder why it did not come with the right Ramsey sticker...
Replacement motor must have come with a different sticker. 8-)

Exactly. Can't wait to do the rebuild on the rest. Factory fresh, here we come.

Forge

Post by Forge » September 3rd, 2013, 10:12 pm

AdamT wrote:Jeep is looking great man!!!!!!!! Curious about the winch, I wonder why it did not come with the right Ramsey sticker. Interesting thoughts. Anyway, Jeep will look great finished! Glad you found the rights parts so easily.
Thanks,
Adam

Thanks Adam. All in all, it took 8 months of off-and-on searching. So, not bad at all! Got lucky and found the light bar very early on.

On the winch, because of the infection I'm on disability (which thankfully ends on Friday). So, restricted budget. Figured it would only show up now that I 'should' be watching my budget. And...here it is on the first try since spring. Ha...!

Forge

Post by Forge » October 8th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Winch rehab is 2/3rds done.

'Scuse the 5-min photoshop....
RamseyPaint.jpg
RamseyPaint.jpg (477.23 KiB) Viewed 10227 times
Applied stickers were all unused current stickers. Tried to save to old ones, but they were completly trashed.

I'll probably hold out for one of the old Ramsey logos.

Forge

Post by Forge » May 6th, 2014, 7:27 am

Just realized I never posted the finished winch.
993710_456325171153727_46771882_n.jpg
993710_456325171153727_46771882_n.jpg (31.01 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
Excuse the crappy iPhone photo. Now that winter is over, I'll be finishing this off along with the rest of the jeep.

Forge

Post by Forge » May 6th, 2014, 8:02 am

Time for a Spring update.
Dash.jpg
Dash.jpg (502.46 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
I resumed work earlier last month by starting with the dash—in part to reach those 6 nuts Jeep decided didn't need tack welded down and in part to see the state of the internals. Looks new! Barely any dust, no chewed wires, and—aside from the newer stereo adapter—no non-stock wiring or splices.

Engine.jpg
Engine.jpg (460.45 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
I'm only doing this once, so I'm going through the Jeep with a fine-tooth comb. If it can come off, it's coming off for inspection, prep, paint, etc. With the fender removed I got my first side-view of the engine. Other than very light surface rust, it's pretty clean in there.

Fender.JPG
Fender.JPG (64.12 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
Here's the driver's side fender post undercoat removal. I used a 'Needle Scaler' available from Harbor Freight for $20. Cuts right through the stuff like a knife.

Fender2.JPG
Fender2.JPG (70.21 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
The exposed areas get the normal treatment, but select hidden areas and edges get a coat of Por-15. After this dried, I went onto prepping the rest of it for primer. I'm hoping to spray tonight.

Hood.JPG
Hood.JPG (72.64 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
Picking up where I left off before last year's health scare, I also prepped the hood. Body wise, it was straight, but the paint has some areas that need a good working over.

Meanwhile, when the weather sucks, I'm working on the rest of the jeep…
Control.jpg
Control.jpg (146.17 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
Light.jpg
Light.jpg (276.7 KiB) Viewed 10205 times